Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Nevada

While it is the responsibility of employers to ensure they provide a safe workspace for their employees, accidents do happen. That’s why workers’ compensation insurance exists. If you have been injured on the job, then you may have a claim to make to cover lost wages, medical bills, and other expenses. However, you do need to know what it takes to file the claim in the first place.

Does the Employer Have Insurance?

Not all companies are required to even carry workers’ compensation insurance, so the first thing you would need to do is find out if you have this option. If you work for a company that doesn’t have the insurance and your employer was specifically negligent, then you may have to bring the suit to civil court. If your employer does have insurance, then you can make a workers’ compensation claim.

Filing the Initial Form

As soon as you have sought medical treatment, you will need to file an incident report. In Nevada, this form is called the Notice of Injury or Occupational Disease. It should be available from your employer. You only have one week to fill this form out after your injury, so you do not want to wait too long even though medical treatment should be your first priority.

Making the Claim

Filing that form is only the first step. It isn’t the actual claim. After you have sought the initial medical treatment and you have alerted your employer, the next step would be to see a medical provider and have a form C-4 filled out. This form is called the Employee’s Compensation Report of Initial Treatment. You and your medical provider will need to fill this form out because it will provide information about you, your job, and your injuries. Always make sure all of your information is correct or the whole process could be delayed.

The form will need to be given to a claims administrator. You have 90 days to get this claim filed after your initial injury. So, again, you don’t want to wait too long before you go through the process.

You don’t have to turn in form C-4 though. In fact, your medical provider will do this. They will have three days from the time you sought treatment to send the form to the insurer or TPA. A copy of the form will also need to be forwarded to your employer. The claims administrator will handle the process from there and you will receive compensation after it has been approved.

It is advisable to hire an attorney for your worker’s compensation claim if the injury was severe. That’s because you will want to ensure your rights are looked after. Don’t assume everything will always go smoothly. There can be various things that arise that may muddy the waters. Choose an attorney who has experience with workers’ compensation in Nevada and they will know how to navigate even difficult situations and make sure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and loss of wages.

Bighorn Staff

About Bighorn Staff