What To Do If You’re Injured at Work in Nevada

Las Vegas workers compensation attorneys

Work injuries happen to millions of people every year. Workplace injuries are common because your workplace is where you spend a majority of your day, and for some people, their job entails a degree of physical exertion. If you are injured on the job, it’s important that you know exactly what to do.

Nevada has certain rules that must be followed in every situation. If you do not follow them, you may not receive medical treatment from your employer and your workers compensation claim may be rejected. Our attorneys at Bighorn Law are skilled at helping workers navigate the system and receive the compensation they are entitled to. If you are injured on the job, contact us as soon as possible, so that we can make sure you are following the right procedures.

Step 1—Tell Your Employer about the Injury or Occupational Disease

This must be done immediately after you are injured or you discover you are suffering from a workplace-induced disease. After you talk to your employer, you must complete a C-1 form, and you and your employer must both sign it.

C-1 Forms are not applications for workers compensation; they are only a work report that confirms that you informed your employer about the injury. According to Nevada Attorneys For Injured Workers, you must complete a C-1 form in the first seven days after the injury. If you do not complete the form in the first seven days following the incident, your workers compensation application will be automatically rejected.

Step 2—Get Medical Treatment

Of course, if you sustained a serious injury and need immediate medical treatment, you should do this before filling out a C-1 form. If the injury is less serious, you should get the C-1 form filled out immediately, so that you don’t forget. It is possible that your employer already has a medical provider to specifically treat workplace injuries. Ask your employer if such a medical provider exists, and if it does, go to them for treatment.

Whether or not your employer has a specifically designated provider, make sure that you go to an authorized provider. Your employer should have a list of those that are authorized. If you get treatment from an unauthorized provider, your expenses might not be covered by your workers comp insurance.

Step 3—File a Claim

When you visit the health care provider, you should fill out your C-4 form. Part of the form will also have to be filled out by the health care provider. Once the form is complete, the health care provider will send copies to both your employer and the insurance company.

The insurer then has 30 days to accept or deny your claim. If they deny it or only accept a portion of it, you will have the option of appealing the decision.

In workers compensation situations, a workers comp lawyer can be tremendously helpful to make sure you are following the procedures and doing so within the specific timelines. At Bighorn Law, we can help you complete the process and ensure that you get adequate compensation.

Bighorn Staff

About Bighorn Staff